Saturday, October 4, 2008

Starbucks in Ballston (Metro)

I've been in my new condo for a month now. There are many things I like about it ... I sleep better. I have a dishwasher. The light is good and my view is green. The best part is I don't spend endless hours commuting to work and fighting city dust, but lately I've been missing my Adams Morgan Starbucks. They are a fast-paced group of interesting people that remember what you order day to day and have your cup of coffee ready before you step up to the counter. Geographically, I'm only a few Metro stops away from my old home but the difference from DC to Virginia is astounding. I mean, for God sakes, how slow can you possibly pour that cup of coffee and count out my change? These people must all be on sedatives.

I know I sound irritable and maybe I'm suffering from caffeine withdrawal since I don't live right over top my fix anymore, but I miss the city pace even if it's not healthy for me.

And that brings me to today. I stopped in for a tall coffee at the Ballston Metro Starbucks and asked the barista kid where I could get back issues of the Good Sheet. My country bumpkin server told me he didn't even know what I was talking about. The brochures have only been right under his nose for several weeks now. No wonder people vote for celebrities instead of intelligent candidates. Picking up a piece of paper might have caused this kid to exert some energy.

And then when he told me my coffee was on the house, and I insisted on paying anyway, he put the $2 in the TIP JAR for HIMSELF? Can you believe it?

Next time you are in Starbucks, pick up the Good Sheet and try to behave better than I did. It's an adjustment I'm going through. This week's topic talks about where your money goes when you buy a gallon of gas. Be informed and vote Democratic.

No comments: