Sunday, August 10, 2008

Maryam's Maze (2007)

I shame-les-lie asked for this book after offering to a do a major favor for my sister. And, sure enough, it came to me straight from Egypt.

I'll need to read "Maryam's Maze" a second time to better appreciate the novel but don't think the question of whether the protagonist is alive or dead, sane or crazy, will be answered. Moving forward, and backwards, through dreams, memories, and a confused reality, Mansoura Ez-Eldin's story is a fascinating read. Her creation of a struggling spirit-double is especially eerie and well done.

When I go to Egypt next, I'll ignore my promise not to buy any books. This one's beautifully made ... It's saddle-stitched the real way with thread and the paper is high quality with a good weight, finish and opacity. Just holding the little book added to my reading pleasure.

To find on amazon: Maryam's Maze (Modern Arabic Literature)

No comments: